Key Points Covered in the Section Include:
• How OBD II tests vehicles
• How OBD II differs from
• How the NYVIP Inspection is different from previous emissions tests
• How Monitors work
• How to read Monitor Readiness Status
• How the vehicle computer controls the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)
• How Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are set
• How to read DTCs
• How the scan tool connects to the vehicle
Welcome to Module Two.
In this module, we'll look at something called OBD II, and explain how it makes the new NYVIP emissions inspection possible.
When you have completed this module, you should understand how the vehicle onboard monitoring system works in 1996 and newer cars and light trucks.
This module includes several mini quiz exercises to help you remember key points.